Samsung Ativ S comes with a slim and stylish design. Although it is made of plastic, the brushed metallic exterior makes it feel a bit more luxurious. The phone boasts a large 4.8” Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with a high resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels (306 ppi pixel density). It makes pictures more alive and videos are more enjoyable to watch. The responsive touchscreen will make the phone easier to operate, especially with the multitouch support. Corning Gorilla Glass 2 will protect the screen from serious damage. There are also basic features like Accelerometer, Gyroscope, and Proximity sensor.
When we talk about Samsung smartphone, you may think of an Android smartphone. But well, not this one. The Ativ S uses Microsoft Windows Phone 8 operating system. Yes, this is a Windows phone. It works responsively with the support of dual-core Krait 1.5 GHz processor, Adreno 225 GPU and 1 GB of RAM. It provides 16/32 GB of internal storage (optional) to store your photos, videos, and other files you have. That should be enough to accommodate your needs, but if you want more you can add external memory card (up to 32 GB).
Connectivity options are quite various. It includes Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (dual-band), Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot; DLNA; Bluetooth v3.0 with A2DP; NFC; and microUSB v2.0. An 8 MP camera is embedded on the back of the phone. It has some supporting features like autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, image stabilization and video recording capability (up to 1080p@30fps). If you want to make a video call, the front-facing 1.9 MP camera gives you the solution.
- Email, Push Email, Instant Messaging
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- SNS integration
- Document viewer/editor
- MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263 player
- MP3/WMA/eAAC+ player
- Voice memo/dial
- Predictive text input
Dimensions: 137.2 x 70.5 x 8.7 mm (5.40 x 2.78 x 0.34 in)
Weight: 135 g (4.76 oz)
Setting up the device
When turning on the device for the first time, follow the on-screen instructions to set up the device.
- Tap get started to start the device setup.
- Select a display language, and then tap next. If you select any language other than the default language, the device restarts automatically.
- Read the terms and conditions, and then tap accept to agree to them.
- Tap recommend to use the default settings, or custom to configure device settings.
- Set a region or country corresponding to the display language, time zone, and time and date, and then tap next.
- Tap create one to sign up for a Microsoft account, or tap sign in, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- After installing applications is finished, tap done to complete the device setup.
Performing a factory data reset.
On the Applications screen, tap Settings → system → about → reset your phone → yes → yes.